Monday, November 4, 2013

Princess and the Potty

I almost feel guilty for the title of this post. Almost. Mostly because it isn't about the mini diva going potty like some may think. Partly because you'll just have to read the post through to see how the title fits.

If you know me personally you may know that I love to laugh. And even more than that I lurve to make other people laugh. And I love to encourage people and make them believe the best about themselves. Not because it's convenient but because it's true. But that's not today's topic. 

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
James 1:17 NIV

Today I want to talk about laughter. I come from a long line of funny people. Mostly unintentionally funny; but still funny. I look at it as a gift, a good and perfect gift that works to the benefit of myself and those around me. A gift that I've been given to enjoy and use. The following are a few examples of how I came to be the lady.scholar.heidiva. I claim to be. 

Example #1

My mother. When she's funny, she's really funny. My favorite is her senior high school yearbook. The quote that she shared, which she has always denied actually came from her, was: "Men are a joke. I love to laugh." It isn't really the quote that was funny; it is more that a) she claims she didn't understand what it meant and b) she steadfastly denies that she ever said it. If you don't think that's funny, it's okay. Because it cracks me up. 

But.. I don't get it?

Example #2

My maternal grandmother was more of an uncomfortable and sometimes socially inappropriate brand of funny. When my Pop Pop died (which was a terrible blow for both her and I. The rest of the family, too.. but we aren't talking about them.) he was cremated. And delivered to her doorstep in a black tupperware-esque box. She and I managed to find the funny in it and pondered such things as: which of her fine silver spoons should we use to spread the ashes? Do you think they cremated his prosthetic leg? Not to mention the fact that she set the box at my Pop Pop's regular place at the table. You may not find the funny in this.. but I already said it was an uncomfortable sarcastic funny. I miss her sometimes: her humor, her hoarding skills, and how beautiful she was.

I think this channels her kind of humor.

Example #3

My paternal grandmother. More of a slapstick comedienne with jokes such as: "Hey Heidi, you want a rubber check? It'll bounce all over the place!" And let's not forget that she didn't disown me after I told her she reminded me of Pruneface from the classic Madonna film Dick Tracy. (She looked like a movie star to me!) She would call me "Granddaughter Heidi" when I sometimes called her "Grandma Hallie." She could take a joke and would call you out on your slips. She was wry and sarcastic while still being warm. She found the funny in a little kid's innocence. Now that is good stuff.

Grandma Hallie would've liked this kid. 

Example #4 (my favorite!!)

My brother. He is the funniest guy I know. Maybe because he's my big brother and I think nothing he does is wrong and no one can be better than him. Nah. I'm not biased. I credit him with my use of the phrase "butt crack of dawn" and teaching the mini me's to discern whether their poops are "fifty wipers" or "clean sweeps." He can make fun of himself better than you can and he has a keen dry and intelligent wit. Or he can be gross and adolescent and that's good, too. I wish I could give you more examples.. but I am not sure this blog can handle that yet. 

Don't ask. It makes no sense. Knight Rider!

A cheerful heart is good medicine.
Proverbs 17:22 NLT

I've been thinking lately about how I got my sense of humor and love of laughter. As messed up as my family may be and as many poor traits or habits I may have gleaned from them (like grinding my teeth since my first set came in).. I'm grateful that the humor and finding the funny stuck. I'm grateful for the sarcasm that not too many will see the humor in and the simple humor that helps others see how good they really have it. I'm grateful that while I was scrubbing my bathroom this afternoon I did it while wearing a tiara. I'm grateful for a husband who laughs at my jokes or at the very least shrugs and replies with a simple, "bless your little heart." And I'm so so grateful for my kids who get my sense of humor and find me funny (though I'm not sure whether I should be pleased or alarmed). But most of all, I'm so thankful for a great big God who saw it fit to help me find the humor in tragedy and triumph and all the in betweens. What a good God to use what is sometimes my downfall and turn it for good. 

And we know that God causes everything to work for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Romans 8:28 NLT

What is something God has used for your good that may not have always been obvious to you?

I thought that I was being original! Look at the shine on her throne. 

No comments:

Post a Comment