Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Not Yo' Meds

Little Larry has been being... difficult. He's teething and we have also gone from having a gajillion pacifiers to ONE. One lonesome pacifier that I will strip search the house to find at bed time. So, to ease his teething pain I give him Nyquil Tylenol. (Like I'd drug him with Nyquil. I ain't that kind of crazy.) 

Mini Diva has what she calls "the coughs." She tried to get out of school today but with no fever or other symptoms and her cough calming down off the chick went to preschool. After a dose of cough medicine. Mainly because home girl hates to cover her mouth. Yuck. 

Mini Diva believes in sharing all things. Especially germs.

Fast forward to this evening: Little Larry gets his Tylenol and Mini Diva gets her cough medicine. After bath time my favorite little buddy comes around the corner with my girl's medicine bottle trying to outsmart or out power the child proof cap. Of course he screamed like I was stealing his precious when I pried his little fingers off of the bottle. Then proceeded to scream at me with flailing limbs. Yeah, I save your life by not giving you big kids meds and somehow I'm the bad guy. Makes perfect sense. Like I should let him eat Sharpies while running with kitchen shears. That boy is something else.

Oh yes. Your argument is convincing me to see things your way.

In the midst of this little show down I thought about how often we do to God what my earth angel did to me. We hold on to what we think we want, or what we think we need, or what we think we are ready for with a death grip. Screaming tantrum and all. Grown ups certainly act like children sometimes. Trust me, I worked in the sales and service industry: I know. 

Oh, right. You insulting my intelligence totally made me reverse that bank fee. Riiight... 

What are you holding on to right now? What dreams or ideas or hopes are you stubbornly refusing to relinquish? Do they line up with what the Lord and your conscience are telling you is right and right for you at this point? If they do: fantastic. If not, or if you have a nagging feeling saying something is off with your desires, allow me to challenge you to lay it down. Lay it down and let the God of peace fill you with fresh desires and dreams: allow him to direct your steps. His ways are better. I will leave you with a few verses to think upon. Let them comfort you and for crying out loud: don't pitch a fit if you don't get to take the big kid medicine today. 

Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desires.
Psalm 37:4 NLT
(I've heard this verse explained two ways: a)God will literally grant your heart's desires and b) God will give your heart things to desire.)

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
James 1:17 KJV

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6, 7 NLT


No comments:

Post a Comment