Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Imagination

My kids are making me mad.
My kids need to put their seat belts on so they'll be safe.
I'm only taking the girls, not the boys.
Mom, pray for my kids. They're throwing up.

You may have guessed that the above statements were not made by me, but the mini diva. According to her she has four kids: Ethan, Manda, Jeremy, and Toulanna. (That last one's name gets changed all the time.) They are imaginary; but to her they are real.. somewhat. I play along because, well, she's four. And I want to let her be four. And I would totally let her play with Barbies and baby dolls until she's sixteen. Anything to help buffer her from dating. :) 

I'm going somewhere with this; stick with me.

Last night my husband and I were praying and mini diva came out of her bedroom wanting to pray with us. We asked what she would want to pray for or who she wanted to pray for. She chose to pray for her kids because they are real sick. My husband corrected her, telling her that prayer is serious and that we don't pray for imaginary things: we are not supposed to play around when it comes to God. This broke my little heart, the mini diva, however, was unscathed. 

The Lord quickly brought to my mind how often we pray about imaginary things. Worries and stresses and imaginary problems that will never come to pass: but they are real to us. Whether there will be enough money to pay for whatever bill that is due next. Whether my kids will be proud of me. What will people think of me if I do this that or the other? What if I don't turn out the way I aspired to? What if I get fired from my job? What if my friends don't like me or I hurt their feelings?

What if, what if, what if... 

Here's what the Bible says about all these "what ifs:"

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
2Corinthians 10:5

and this

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
1Peter 5:7

If you're worried, tired, weary in your mind from stress and imaginary things; cast it down and cast it on Jesus, the Prince of Peace. He cares for you and everything about you; if you care about it so does he. Whether the imaginary thing be your kids imaginary kids illness or that imaginary thing is whether I offended a co-worker because I didn't say good morning or maybe that imaginary thing is wondering if God really cares about me. 

You know, if God is big enough to deal with an adult still struggling with imaginary issues; isn't he big enough to handle a little kid's daydreams and imaginary problems? Isn't he smart enough to know her right where she is; isn't he wise enough to let a four year old be a four year old? He is. And if he is caring and loving enough to take time for a little girl; wouldn't he be tender enough to care for you? He is. 

Or, as he would say, "I AM."



No comments:

Post a Comment